How to Optimize Your eCommerce Website For Mobile Devices
Mobile devices are becoming more and more popular as a platform for ecommerce and an important part of web design. Their widespread usage can no longer be ignored and it has been estimated to account for more than half of web traffic. Additionally, mobile devices have now been proven to be the most used source of Google searches and they exceed desktop searches. This is the main reason behind the increasing number of sales happening on mobile devices worldwide. One third of all sales are completed on a mobile device.
Mobile devices are so widespreadly used, that the matter of how to optimize an eCommerce website for mobile devices has become one of the main concerns of web designers.
There are many ways to optimize the eCommerce website for mobile devices. Here are a few:
- A fixed navigation bar: Do not allow visitors to scroll and swipe past the most important content on your website. A successful web designer always has to make sure that their client’s most important information is getting screentime. How can this be done? Simply implement a fixed navigation bar into the design of the eCommerce website on the mobile device. The purpose of this integration is to ensure that the user will get vital information and also improve the flow through the website.
- Three elements: Of course, the elements to include in your web design depend on your client’s requirements, but there are three elements that are crucial to include when speaking of mobile eCommerce: homepage link, checkout link and an ‘add to cart’ link. The implementation of these three important elements help the designer to highlight promotions and important information, introduce new product launches and spread the word on special offers.
- Product photography positioning: Browsing on a mobile phone is all about the visual experience. When an eCommerce website is not visually appealing, there is little chance that users will stay on the page. Sure, product descriptions have an important role in the shopping experience, but not so much when it comes to mobile devices.
The product should always be set front and center on all pages of your mobile eCommerce web design. Good structure not only means aesthetics and appearance that will attract the client, but also visual clues to simplify the decision making of the user.
- Minimized text usage on product pages: Space on mobile devices is more limited than on the desktop browser. This is why the website designer usually has a smaller area to explain and communicate the proposition of the product and text usage on the product pages has to be minimized to ensure that the decision making process does not become too complicated for the users.
The copy of the mobile version should include the product name, variant option, call-to action button and of course, the price. Collapsible menus can help you show additional information that cannot be removed from the website and simply hide them from permanent view. This technique can guarantee improvement in the user’s shopping experience and put focus on the most important elements of your mobile eCommerce website.
- The ‘add to cart’ button: The call-to-action button on screen should be present at all times. This will emphasize the most important elements of an eCommerce mobile web design and for this type of website, this would mean including an ‘Add To Cart’ button. The buy button should always be present on screen, regardless of where the users are on the page. This is your way of ensuring that your visitors are encouraged to take a desired action at all times and can greatly increase the chances of your visitors adding an item to a cart when they show some interest in it.
By not enriching the navigation bar with such links, the buyer will be faced with the complicated task of purchasing the item and this will decrease your chances to sell your product.
- Real photography: Replace the standard menu that is commonly used with real photography. This will make your design even more appealing and this simple approach will convert a window shopper into an instant customer. There is rarely a customer that would choose to purchase a product solely based on a product description. Real photography reduces the uncertainty about what the product looks like. Do not leave the product to the imagination of the customer. In the end, you may sell the product, but it may turn out to be different than what they imagined from just looking at the description.
Letting a customer visualize the product before the purchase is the right decision that will not only increase sales, but will also provide you with more satisfied customers and of course, better feedback.
- Guest checkout option: The mobile navigation should be simple in order not to confuse and overwhelm a customer. The navigation should include only critical links, such as the aforementioned. For example, a good, smooth web design should combine product categories, call-to-action buttons and a guest checkout option, without all those unimportant links located under the menu bar.
- Search Bar: Last but not least, the most important navigational item is the search bar. Make sure to offer some search suggestions and corrections to save some time for your customers. Additionally, make sure to give the option of saving the browsing history that can serve both you and your customers. In this way, you will be able to serve them the most relevant suggestions, based on their browsing history.
Mobile eCommerce websites are a growing trend nowadays. This is why it is crucial that your web design is fully functional. Follow the steps above to give your website lots of potential and quality. This is the only way to ensure that your clients are satisfied by your eCommerce website on a mobile device.