Designing an icon can be tricky as it is very important to balance good design and color with clarity. An icon, no matter how artistically designed will lose its value if it does not communicate to the viewer.
Effective icon designs
1. Create a theme: Although it is important for icons to stand out from each other, it is important to include a common design element. These elements can be based on color, perspective, size or light and shade.
2. Keep it simple: The function of an icon is clearest when the least number of elements are used in the design. Adding too many elements or trying to make the icon look realistic might make it too complicated to understand thereby defeating the purpose.
3. Consistency in shadows, light and reflection: Ensure that all the icons in the group are consistent with each other. If the light is acting from a specific direction, use the same direction for all other icons and add shadows and reflections accordingly. Use a simple perspective and ensure that all icons are drawn from the same angle.
Mistakes to avoid
1. Ambiguous and disarrayed designs: The efforts to create a set of icons that follow a theme may go waste if the icons look too similar. This will confuse the viewer and won’t serve the purpose. Similarly, if icons are too different from each other, the output will not be aesthetically pleasing and can be off-putting.
2. Cluttered icons: Adding too many elements or unnecessary design in the icon can confuse and irritate the viewer. The icon should be equally clear when resized. As icons are usually very small in size, it is important to keep it clean and easily understandable.
3. Unclear metaphors: While taking the creative approach to icon designing could get you great results; they may not always be as effective. Ensure that the designs you choose for icons are universally recognizable.
Want to learn more on how to design Icons from scratch, check out these 100+ amazing tutorials!
Tutorials can often be your greatest source of inspiration when trying to design that project you have been putting off. In this post, I have rounded up a collection of very useful Photoshop and Illustrator cs5 tutorials from around the web from the month of November 2010. You’ll find everything from Creating a Harry Potter…
Today we are showcasing “Best of the Web”. We have scoured the internet in search of other design driven blogs and websites to showcase what they have to offer for the week of November 8, 2009. There is plenty of great stuff out there such as tutorials, freebies, resources and lots of inspirational pieces. I…
It has been almost eight months since my last post on Illustrator tutorials titled: Illustrator CS5 Tutorials: 70 Wicked Tips. Since then I have been scouring the web in search of fresh new Adobe Illustrator tutorials for you to try out. I am confident that these 70 excellent Illustrator Tutorials will guide you in creating…
Social media icons play such a huge role in driving traffic to your blog or website. They have really become a “must have” feature. In the last couple of weeks or so, I have assembled a collection of some of the most creative social media icons for you to use on your blog or website….
Today we are showcasing “Best of the Web”. We have scoured the internet in search of other design driven blogs and websites to showcase what they have to offer for the week of January 10, 2010. There is plenty of great stuff out there such as tutorials, freebies, resources and lots of inspirational pieces. I…
Well designed and free icons always come in handy, especially when designing that latest website/blog or app. In this article we have compiled a great collection of free icons ranging from the latest Pinterest icon pack to various social media icons all the way to some really great e-commerce icon sets. So if you are…