Designing an icon can be tricky as it is very important to balance good design and color with clarity. An icon, no matter how artistically designed will lose its value if it does not communicate to the viewer.
Effective icon designs
1. Create a theme: Although it is important for icons to stand out from each other, it is important to include a common design element. These elements can be based on color, perspective, size or light and shade.
2. Keep it simple: The function of an icon is clearest when the least number of elements are used in the design. Adding too many elements or trying to make the icon look realistic might make it too complicated to understand thereby defeating the purpose.
3. Consistency in shadows, light and reflection: Ensure that all the icons in the group are consistent with each other. If the light is acting from a specific direction, use the same direction for all other icons and add shadows and reflections accordingly. Use a simple perspective and ensure that all icons are drawn from the same angle.
Mistakes to avoid
1. Ambiguous and disarrayed designs: The efforts to create a set of icons that follow a theme may go waste if the icons look too similar. This will confuse the viewer and won’t serve the purpose. Similarly, if icons are too different from each other, the output will not be aesthetically pleasing and can be off-putting.
2. Cluttered icons: Adding too many elements or unnecessary design in the icon can confuse and irritate the viewer. The icon should be equally clear when resized. As icons are usually very small in size, it is important to keep it clean and easily understandable.
3. Unclear metaphors: While taking the creative approach to icon designing could get you great results; they may not always be as effective. Ensure that the designs you choose for icons are universally recognizable.
Want to learn more on how to design Icons from scratch, check out these 100+ amazing tutorials!
Sometimes designing your own graphics from scratch can be a timely and daunting task, and going to the professionals can be very costly. In this post I have assembled an amazing collection of well designed free graphic elements that we do think are worth mentioning…for example; Flat icons, Flat design UI Kit, PSD website template…
Would you like to learn more Photoshop tips and tricks to help you create amazing images? This list of top 20 different Photoshop effect video tutorials will certainly help give your edited photos more creativity. Whether you have been working with Photoshop for years or you are new to it, there are photoshop tutorials for…
Space art has been rising in popularity thanks to people’s curiosity for the unknown and the beautiful images from NASA that amazed and inspired us over the years. Today designers are letting their imagination run wild, and creating some of their own space art in the form of Photoshop brushes.
Usernames are not a vital part of everyday life in the real world, but they can be used to build an entire image of you online. These tags are especially prevalent in the world of gaming, and they are considered a form of personal expression. Usernames create an illusion that stamps an impression with other…
About a month ago, I created a post titled: Inspirational Artwork: Hugo Boss Fragrance. This post featured the famous Hugo Boss fragrance bottle infused with some great artwork. In today’s article we are featuring the ever popular Apple iPhone and the great artwork associated with the marketing behind it. Hopefully one of these creations will…
I have been scouring the web in search of the latest Adobe Illustrator CS6 tutorials for you to try out. I am confident that these 40+ excellent Illustrator Tutorials will guide you in creating some of the most amazing Illustrations for your next project. In this post, you’ll find everything from Creating a PlayStation Controller in…