Typography is the backbone of good design, a mastery of type will ensure readable, beautiful design. One of the most fun glyphs available for designers to play with is the ampersand. Derived from the Latin word for “and,” which is “et,” if you take the Roman cursive ‘e’ and combine it with the ‘t’ you get the symbol – &.
There’s something about this symbols curves and the way it takes three letters and condenses them down into one swoop of the pen, but the ampersand has captured the heart of designers, artists and type-geeks alike resulting in a rich collection of artistic ampersands. Here’s a collection of 15 inspiring Ampersands in a myriad of mediums.
2. Katie Daisy’s Land of Ampersand, a whimsical floral Ampersand painting.
3. Ampersands by Stuart D Wade, an Ampercity, isn’t it pretty?
7. Ampersand by Gemma Correll, darling illustrated letter press design.
11. Ampersandwhich t-shirt, currently not available but doesn’t it make you a little hungry?
13. Ampersand Cover by Laura Berglund & Josh Lambert, created for the cover of the Kansas City Art Institute student magazine.