Simply Steps To Transform A Photoshop Document Into An HTML
Designing and developing a website is not child’s play. It includes various steps that need to be accomplished with great precision, and for this reason, it is said that it is better to seek assistance from an expert in the industry to ensure a successful product.
Both designing and development processes are somehow dependent on each other. Designers create an aesthetic layout with a clean and captivating UI, and for this, there are several useful frameworks available out there such as Adobe Photoshop. These Photoshop documents are then required to be converted in to HTML files, so that developers can start developing a website.
In this post, I will uncover the essential steps required to transform a Photoshop document into an HTML file. Before we can do this it would be worth understanding the significance of embracing a responsive design.
Why to choose Responsive HTML
With the advancement in mobile technology, we have observed that there are many advanced mobile devices available in the market today. Thus, in this mobile age, if your website is not mobile friendly, you are certainly losing a large amount of your business.
Today, most users prefer using their Internet-enabled mobile devices such as Smartphones and Tablets over desktops to access the internet. This has substantially resulted in the increase of mobile traffic on the Internet that can’t be ignored. Therefore, your web page has to be compatible with these advanced platforms.
For this HTML has to be optimized to appear properly not only on desktops, but also on mobile devices. Further, the proliferation of mobile devices has also made the process a bit more complex. To cope up with the market demands, a high end design strategy is needed that can help designers to efficiently cater to the mobile web needs without leaving the quality behind.
Fortunately, the experts have introduced an invaluable approach with responsive design that helps websites to proficiently target any device. The responsive layout optimizes the web content by taking a few attributes of the targeted device into account. For instance, it considers the mobile platform, browser, screen resolution, screen size and so forth and accordingly tailors the look and feel of a website to make it appear easily accessible on any device.
I hope the above stated reasons are compelling enough to choose responsive web design. Let’s decipher the steps required for converting a PSD into an HTML.
Step 1: Prerequisites
Before diving into the conversion process, it is viable to get the prerequisites in place.
- Photoshop document (PSD) which is required to be transformed into an HTML.
- It is essential to have a clear understanding of HTML development. You must possess expertise to deal with HTML beforehand. This will help you plan the HTML layout in an absolute manner. If you don’t have in depth knowledge about the topic, you must learn its basic syntax, supported tags and attributes.
Step 2: Configuring the Repository Structure
Set up the repository structure where you will store all the files related to your website. There must be a root folder, which will hold all the files and folders. In this root folder, create sub folders for each design element, including scripts, images, CSS, text, etc. Also, create an index.html file where you will write all the HTML markup; whenever a user makes a request to a browser, it retrieves the index.html file to display a website on the screen.
Step 3: Slice Image
As, you can’t include the complete PSD file as it in an HTML file, it has to be sliced into smaller sizes. Here you have an option to either choose JPEG format or PNG-24 bit format for saving the sliced images. Both formats have their own upsides, like JPEG ensures lightweight images with size optimization, while PNG-24 ensures surefire image quality. The choice is completely yours.
Step 4: Diving into the Code
To appropriately weave the sliced images into HTML5 code, here are certain tips for your consideration.
- Place the logo appropriately on the HTML5 page and make it clickable to redirect to a web page. Usually, the Home page of a website is chosen for this; however, you may choose any page. This can be done by using the anchor tag.
- A header tag must be included within a body tag.
- Include a div along with a Wrapper as its class value in the header.
- To add the image, use the image tag and give the image path to its source attribute.
- To create a navigation bar, implement the Nav tag. In this navigation bar, you may create an ordered or unordered list to display the menu options. This can be accomplished by using suitable tags. Again, use the anchor tag to link the menu options to their corresponding web pages.
With this simple yet informative guide, you can easily convert a Photoshop design document into an HTML file. Hopefully, this basic tutorial will help you create an HTML from a PSD. However, there are several incredibly useful tools and frameworks (like Dreamweaver) also available in the market that allow one to efficiently accomplish this conversion process and deliver a quality result.